In the year 2011, CIJE, Center for Initiatives in Jewish Education in partnership with the Israel Sci-Tech Educational network launched an innovative, discovery-oriented two-year course in Scientific and Biomedical Engineering (STEM) for high school students. The goal of this program is to educate a generation of students in Jewish schools to be able to compete in the global marketplace by preparing them for careers in engineering and advanced technology. CIJE provides participating high schools with a full curriculum, rigorous teacher training and the equipping of all classrooms with laptops, apparatus and all necessary materials. Beginning in the fall of 2014, Ilan High School is proud to be counted amongst the Jewish high schools in the nation that are recipients of this generous grant.
The curriculum reflects the following objectives:
• Preparation for academic study in higher education, especially in engineering
• Exposure to a diverse range of scientific and technological knowledge areas
• Development of multidisciplinary thinking
• Development of abstract, critical and creative interdisciplinary thinking
• Development of leadership and teamwork skills
• Introduction students to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) careers